Tuesday, August 24, 2010

what foreign languages do USA schools usually teach? at what age do they start.


what foreign languages do USA schools usually teach? at what age do they start?
in my country english is taught since the age of 6 and in high school we have to pick another one (in my case french), then in the university entrance exam you have to pass an exam of advanced english. is this similar in american schools with another language? but from what age to what age is it mandatory and is it necessary to enter college? ok my main question which no one is answering is from what age (grade) to what age is it a MUST and if its part of what i believe you call the SAT'S
Other - Cultures & Groups - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I was taught Spanish from 4th grade and up. French in high school, and learned Spanish again in college. But the languages that are offered in high school are Spanish, Latin, French, Mandarin, Japanese It is never a must in primary school, some public schools offer it other do not. The key word here is "offer." The only point where a foreign language is required is when one wants to earn a Associates of Art degree and Spanish is a requirement.
2 :
in my schools-french and spanish....some schools in my state are now branching out into mandarin....
3 :
Spanish, French, and Latin were my options.
4 :
None. English is America's only language.
5 :
Our district just started teaching "Chinese immersion" in preschool. They get Chinese (Manderin) language and culture; it's the superintendent's pet project. I'm not really thrilled. Many US schools teach Spanish at an elementary school level, and Spanish, French and sometimes German, Russian and/or Japanese at a secondary/high school level. Many more languages can be found at college and university levels.
6 :
French, Spanish, Latino
7 :
It depends on the school. My elementary school in Baltimore didn't teach foreign languages. When I was in middle school (at age 10 or 11), we were offered French, Spanish, and Italian (I chose French). But when I moved back to New York, the school my parents put me in only taught Spanish and Italian (I went with Spanish). In high school, we had French, Spanish, Italian, and Mandarin (I went back to French). In our 3rd year in high school, we had to pass a proficiency test in the foreign language we chose. It's not a part of the SATs. The SATs only test math and English (vocabulary and writing); although familiarity with a Romance language may give you an edge.
8 :
I was taught Spanish starting in the 1st grade at age 8. After 12 yrs old, we can choose which languages we want to learn. The 3 main languages we are taught are Spanish, French and Italian. In College, there are otherlanguages besides those in which we can choose to take classes in. At age 14-18, (High School) it is mandatory to get a certain amount of credits in a foreign language.



Read more discussion :